Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Pro Acryl Expansion Set 3 (First Impressions)

New paint! What follows is a quick first test and my initial impressions.



This is my second box of Pro Acryl, the first was their metallic line, which I totally dig (see my metallic comparison page). The box contains faded plum, dark golden brown, black green, blue black, grey blue, turquoise, bright pale green, pale yellow, and burnt sienna. I also ordered, dark umber, sky blue, mahogany and burn sienna?!  Don't drink while your shopping kids, trust me.

 

Taking a page from companies that actually know what they're doing I decided to paint some black slashes on paper and look at coverage straight out of the pot. The results are below. Blue black is excellent as is plum and dark umber. The pale colors are what I expected, but some of the dark ones look really nice. The dark golden brown is wicked and the other browns are nice too.



To compare the browns with some GW paints I conducted a brown paint shootout. I realized too late that the label in the picture reads "brown shootout", which sounds more like the day after an especially bad vindaloo... Anyhow, Dryad Bark is close to Dark Umber, and Doombull is a slightly redder Burnt Sienna, which will make a great leather.



Skrag brown is really thin compared to the rest (I use it for tanned flesh).  The side by side below is maybe easier to read. The Dark Golden Brown has a GW Contrast Snake Bite Leather like tone to it (very exciting),  while the the Mahogany is a slightly red toned Rhinox Hide. 

The Pro are a good consistency and require little thinning compared to my older GW pots. I'll be interested to see how they react with other colors (especially white, Dryad Bark dies with white, while Doombull turns pink, only Rhinox does what you expect it to do).


 

Anyhow that's all for now.

Cheers,

HMP











































No comments:

Post a Comment