Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Working on Basing

Basing isn't one of my strong points, and often it shows. Here's my latest crack at it.

The subject

Very thinly sliced cork

White Glue!

More white glue!

Sand

After cork/sand
After cork/sand/plaster chips 

Cork/sand/plaster chips/Zandri Dust/Ushabti Bone/Fleshshade/Agrax/Ushabti bone


Right, there's no magic here... Very thinly sliced cork covers the big hole in the middle and adds some height. Once dried, covering the cork with glue and then sand gives the most ghetto of finishes (attention table-top). I let this dry completely before saturating with more glue and shaking it in my bag of plaster bits. Plaster bits are nice and sharp and you can easily remove all the fines by screening it. Depending on how much time you spend with the hammer the plaster can vary in size. Now the plaster tends to drink paints so it's worthwhile to seal the whole deal with a 1:1 white glue:water mixture. Let that dry.

Come back a day layer and paint it up. I find for Martian surfaces a random mix of Reikland Fleshshade and Agrax Earthshade breaks things up nicely. I would say that at this stage we gave reached the level of table-top+. I just made that up, and I'm going to tag it.

DMGWLFP







No comments:

Post a Comment